It has been a busy-as-fuck week, followed by a surprisingly eventful Friday. And I am sipping a martini (! yes, really), and trying to decompress.
Today I have had a woman called Candace reprimanded, and likely cost her her next raise. I have declared war on a woman called Janae, who is the manager at my former apartments, the Villas at Mountain Vista, who made the regrettable mistake of calling me a liar today and hanging up on me not once, but twice. I have contacted a lawyer. Candice’s employers were all too willing to credit me $100 and give me a 12 month $50 discount on my cable/internet bill for her indiscretions. For Janae’s? Well, an international apartment management company in Salt Lake City, and Janae herself, are going to buy me the house next door. For cash. And if they continue to piss me off, I’m playing the schizophrenic card and they will also pay for my dental implants and a car for Doc. And maybe that pair of gladiator sandals I found at zulilly.com the other day.
When that woman almost hit me with her car, and I kicked in her door, something clicked in me. I suddenly felt free, like a HUGE weight had been removed from my head and shoulders and back. When I decided to stand up for myself and threaten to fuck her up if she didn’t get back in her car and leave, I suddenly felt completely alive for the very first time in my life.
Every action I have taken since that day has been with that freedom and attitude. And 95% of everything is golden, really. Even though I am completely off my meds temporarily. And the other 5% that is absolute shite, it’s like my brain was programmed in my sleep with the ways to maintain this freedom, this strength, this autonomy, and I am handling it with grace and eloquence, if not a large amount of snark and hard-to-read sarcasm.
Tonight, the Kickstarter campaign goes live. And this weekend will be devoted to getting fliers out to advertise it at pet shops and vets and groomers. I have all of the elements of the original graphics ready to go, and a font picked out (can I just recommend Typograph for Windows font management? Absolutely fabulous tool that let me see the logo in the fonts before I decided which to try), and I just need to assemble them in the proper size formats for the various sites. I’m waiting for the muse to strike, as I am mired in layout choices and cannot possibly decide right now.
I still haven’t made any cash. But it’s emminent. Something will come trickling in, and I am cool with that, but most importantly, Doc finally sees how hard I am trying and the sacrifices I am making with putting my collectible toys up for sale. That means everything to me, and it has finally comforted him. He is still having trouble falling asleep, but he is staying asleep longer and getting quality rest. And he’s taking less Xanax. I don’t dare mention it to him, I don’t think he’s even aware of it. The point is, everything is falling together.
I think, think, think, that maybe, quite possibly, Doc may be warming to the idea of Punk Rat Life. I think I mentioned we had a very traumatic experience with our beloved pet rat that resulted in her death, and then had to leave her sister behind in PA when we left. He is still not over it. I don’t think I am, either. I mean, I have gone to great lengths to find a vet who specializes in domestic pet rats so that I can get them care at the first sign of a problem. But I’m ready to open my home and my heart again. And the project is about so much more than just pet rats. It’s about awareness of the heroism and beauty of these animals. It’s about therapy for me to keep me in the real world and give me a thing to do that gives me purpose and forces me to face my fears in a safe way. It’s about reaching out and proving to myself that I can come up with and idea, develop it, see it through to completion, and do it to the best of my ability. And I think that Doc is starting to see these things. I’m so glad. I’m still going to put “emails of support to Doc” under the Call to Action on the Kickstarter page.
Okay, time to catch up on this season of NCIS, finish my martini, contemplate making another, and wait for this pain reliever to kick in and relax my stress-tight muscles for a few hours until I calm down. Though, you will be proud of me, I was pleasant as all get out to the cable people. And I kept my cool for as long as I possibly could with the stupid bitch from the apartments.
If you’re curious about the flurry of letters (there is some classic passive-aggressive snark and barely masked sarcasm going in these letters, I had fun with them), you can check them out in today’s post on my Facebook Artist’s Page. If you have the time, they are a hoot.